Sunday, April 11, 2010

Reflection on principles of communication / teamwork on programming and problem-solution projects

Throughout this semester, we have been divided in groups to discuss tasks set by our tutors. This has led to an increase in chances to hone our teamwork and communication skills. I, for one, know that I have definitely benefited from all these experiences.

The CG1102 group consists of three people. Michael and Anuj were my team mates for this project and we have had to work very closely with one another to finish the labs set for us. After countless meetings, I hope we are all able to say it was a great learning opportunity. This module has not only taught me how to accommodate people with different work habits as me, but also that being in a team provides friends you can count on when you run into difficulties.

Programming in teams in a very interesting way to teach the importance of communication and teamwork. It is such a versatile tool, as n number of people, when given the same programming homework, will almost definitely come up with n different versions of a program which will all do the exact same task. Perhaps some more efficiently than others, but all working nonetheless. This is therefore an added difficulty (on top of simply completing the labs) to agree upon a single structure. Further modifications which had to be done were easier to implement, since the most important part (the skeleton) was already in place. Personally, I believe that within the CG1102 teams, teamwork was a more significant factor in ensuring the success of the project than effective communication. This, in no way, diminishes the importance of effective communication, but when working on projects, teamwork is key.

The assignments for CG1413 have a different purpose, or rather, a different focus. Blog posts are basically our thoughts. When we write them, we are trying to convey a message to the readers. A message which must accurately inform of our ideas and opinions. This is where communication appears to be the 'star'. By writing down reflections, and also commenting on posts done by my group mates, I have been constantly reminded to practice the 7Cs. Although so many reflections to write can be a little depressing, I know I have learnt more about myself. The posts and comments done by the other members of the class have also revealed points about me that I would never have seen on my own.

Oral presentation is a product of many days of discussions. I had not done presentations for a long time before this semester, and had already lost touch with many skills which make an effective speaker. Working with my classmates, along with their feedback, I'm happy to say I have made improvements and gained confidence in speaking to an audience.

This course has indeed been highly enjoyable, and I would like to thank Ms Brenda as well as my group mates for all the valuable advice you have given me. :) Cheers to all and good luck for exams :P

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anni,

    I am glad to hear that you are constantly using the 7Cs. They will be extremely useful when we have to write reports in future semesters or even when we go out to work. And I can tell that you have tried hard to improve yourself over the semester. U used to be very shy and quiet but I feel that you have slowly opened up to become more confident and sure of yourself. It was a pleasure working with you and all the best for the exams :)

    Regards
    Corn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anni,

    I am glad to know that you have learnt new things in this module.As Dr Colin said,1102 teaches you how to work in teams as that will be your working environment in the future.You will no longer be coding by yourself instead in teams.From the first time we met i remember you were a very silent person and you gave me the feeling that you were very cool.After reading your blogs and working together with you for the problem solving project i realized that you really improved a lot in terms of confidence and grammar.There is still room for improvement.You might want to take more language related modules to improve your social and talking skills.Finally, it has been very nice working together with you and i wish you all the best in your final exams.

    Regards,
    Joon Wai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni,

    It is good that your CG1102 team able to work well together. But i think i have to disagree with you that teamwork is more important than communication. If there is no communication, teamwork won't happen. Since there are so many version of programming code for the CG1102 projects, we have to communicate well with each other to make sure nobody has a problem with it then we can start the teamwork. So whenever there is teamwork, communication come first. So i think that communication is more important than teamwork in a team. Anyway, it has been nice working together with you in our CG1413 project , wish you all the best for your final exams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anni,

    First of all, i would like to say that it has been a pleasure working side by side with you on the CG1413 project, and i sincerely thank you for all the valuable lessons that i have learnt from you.

    Regarding the your blog post, i would like to say that i fully agree with you on how adding teamwork to programming can lead to so much troubles. In my opinion, programming is something that can be so confusing when you have to work on the same program with other people, but yet at the same time, most projects are simply too large for a single person to complete. Hence, it is of utmost importance that we learn to work effectively as a team.

    I too believe that teamwork was the crucial key that lead to the success of the project, but i would have to say that teamwork only comes with effective communication. However, even with effective communication, it might not necessarily mean that teamwork would occur as well. This is especially apparent in the case of the CG1102 project, whereby the task is so complex.

    As for oral presentation, i am glad that you made improvements and regained confidence as a public speaker. Public speaking is a skill that must be constantly honed and improved on, and i hope that you would continue to find new opportunities to practice your oral presentation skills.

    Lastly, i would like to wish you all the best for the upcoming exams. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete