This was done with a different group from the first oral presentation. Although I believe I have improved, I still see many mistakes which I had made in the first presentation surface again for the second round.
The first half of my presentation was about primary research. When showcasing the survey results, I found it difficult to explain what the numbers meant. It was because I had not practiced since our presentation was postponed from Monday. I had forgotten some of my elaboration points and could not fill the gaps in my head, hence becoming very jittery and nervous. However, I was better prepared for the second part of the presentation which involved secondary research on why people gamble, as well as some statistics. These were interesting facts which I found easier to remember and thus I tried to make up for my previous slip up by adding more information during this section. As I became more confident, I relaxed and tried to share my knowledge in the most interesting way possible.
I had written notes for the presentation, but as I had to bend and tap the keyboard to move to the next slide, I felt it was too much of a hassle and so did not refer to them. This helped me give more eye contact to the audience and I could see I had connected with them and they were listening intently to what I had to say. It was very encouraging and so I could keep up my energy and enthusiastic when elaborating my points. This in turn, I hope, kept the audience awake which will then again induce me to keep being interesting. The cycle continues.
During the question and answer session, I was thinking of replies to the inquiries posed by my fellow classmates. However most of the questions were involving the solutions we had come up with for our problem, so I had little to add on to what Andy had answered. I could have better prepared for this section by reading up on what my groupmates had come up with for the solutions. Although I had also prepared a segment, I did not present it and hence I was unsure of how Joon Wai had decided to interpret my points.
As a team, I believe we had done reasonably well. Our slides were prepared separately and thus there were some differences in the style of presentation. We also had individual parts in both primary / secondary research as well as solutions to our problem. There were some problems with arranging the people to present, if we should let each of us present our own parts, or reassign. We had chosen to do a compromise and did a little swapping around so we did not confuse the audience with too many exchanging of presenters. I feel that this arrangement was the best possible choice and had worked out pretty well.

Hi Anni,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that you seemed a bit lost and nervous at the start of our presentation but you eventually settled down and began to show confidence in your presentation.That is normal and it can be improved by practice.I would like to add on that we our group should have been more prepared to answer the Q and A session so that every one of us would be able to have a chance to answer questions.Finally it has been very nice working together with you as a team and i hope that you do feel the same working together with me.
Regards,
Joon Wai.
Hey Anni,
ReplyDeleteConsidering our rather late decision to arrange for you to present a part that is not prepared by you, i honestly think that you did really well. You did seem a little nervous during the part on primary research, but you managed to recover during the later half on secondary research.
With regards to your problem on being unable to refer to your speech cards, i think one solution would be for another team member to change to the next slide for you during the presentation. Not only does this allow you to refer to your notes, it also eliminates the possibility of the audience getting distracted due to you changing the slides.
Though it would definitely be helpful to learn more about the parts presented by the other members, i felt that you did reasonably well for the Q&A session. For example during the Q&A, there was a question regarding our secondary research, and i felt that you and Cornelius managed to give very insightful answers.
To end off, i would like to say that i have learnt many things from you, and it has been a pleasure working with you for the past few weeks.
Hi Anni,
ReplyDeleteRegarding the question on our secondary research, I felt that I had misinterpreted the question and was not really answering it fully. It was a good thing that you stepped forward to elaborate further.
You did seem a little nervous at first but I think that you did a fairly good job of hiding it. I feel that it is also partly attributed to the fact that you where second to present. Having little time to calm yourself down before presenting can make a person feel extremely nervous. I admit that at least for me I was very nervous while Andy and you were presenting and it took me quite awhile to enter into the correct state of mind.
Thanks for being such a great member and I really enjoyed working with you.
Regards
Corn
Hi Annie,
ReplyDeleteYour presentation was good, but a bit nervous. Well many of you don't like to refer to written note during presentation because of hassle. But actually, there is nothing wrong at looking notes. It is good to pause a while to let the audience digest your points, and you remember your points by looking at notes. If your notes is written very clearly and you remember where is the part that you need in the note, you can refer to the notes without a hassle. I always bring presentation card for my both presentation, and i find it quite useful.
From
jeisern